Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
jules verne

Registered:
Posts: 78
Reply with quote  #1 
Was a bit surprised to see such a big tour for next year. I am amazed how Brian has held up so well for this grueling run. I hope he gets the proper rest and renewal. I will always try to see him as long as he plays. I hope it doesn't turn into a situation like The Dead, where the best thing for the band was to lay off a tour so that Jerry could get back to better health. But, sadly, the machine was too big and there were too many mouths to feed.
0
RB

Registered:
Posts: 182
Reply with quote  #2 
It has been a rigorous tour, especially the international portion, but it seems everyone (with the exception of Billy H) held up OK. They now have a much needed little break to recharge. I'm delighted there are shows next year, and I'm hopeful they will be just as fantastic as this years' shows. I get the feeling these guys don't want to just go through the motions. These performances seem to mean a lot to them, and the effort they put forward night in and night out is admirable.
0
Jeremy L

Registered:
Posts: 1,616
Reply with quote  #3 
   If Brian truly enjoys still touring that's great.   But the key is touring in moderation and not overtouring.     I know there is a decent break and then one more leg of the Pet Sounds tour but after that I hope Brian takes a nice long break with maybe the only work being focusing on the next album.    I suspect that Brian will likely tour again to some degree after the next album comes out.    But I think his days of doing major World tours might be over after this one concludes.
0
BeachBoysAR312

Registered:
Posts: 326
Reply with quote  #4 
Right. Fans definitely expected a big BWB tour, prior to this one but I don't think anyone ever imagined it growing to 99 shows. Brian isn't going to stop fully touring but we can expect to see a break, probably through the summer, then my guess is that it will sort of go back to the way things were before this year in all aspects. The setlists will go back to the typical BW show, perhaps keeping a couple of the Pet Sounds stuff in the set. There may or may not be a tour prior to the new album as just like a general tour, but I'd be shocked if he doesn't do one after the album. He's held up great but does deserve a break. At least their next show isn't til the end of March. In terms of world tours, I think it is probably just going to stick with the U.S. and maybe Canada because it's close. But as I've said before and I'll say it again: He's not gonna fully retire but do more like mini-tours and shows here and there but mostly staying in the US and probably no more big international tours.
0
Jeremy L

Registered:
Posts: 1,616
Reply with quote  #5 
   As long as he remains in good health I think Brian will likely do at least a North American tour following the release of his next album.   But I think it will return to being mainly a greatest hits type setlist with a few deep cuts and a couple of new songs mixed in similar to the NPP shows.  It would be nice if he could return to adding at least a couple of songs from earlier in his solo career to the shows but I think outside of Love and Mercy and any new solo songs Brian's setlists will remain strictly Beach Boys.   And obviously there is nothing wrong with Beach Boy songs.  After all that's what put Brian on the map.   But there are some songs he's made in his solo career that he still should be quite proud of.
0
BeachBoysAR312

Registered:
Posts: 326
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy L
   As long as he remains in good health I think Brian will likely do at least a North American tour following the release of his next album.   But I think it will return to being mainly a greatest hits type setlist with a few deep cuts and a couple of new songs mixed in similar to the NPP shows.  It would be nice if he could return to adding at least a couple of songs from earlier in his solo career to the shows but I think outside of Love and Mercy and any new solo songs Brian's setlists will remain strictly Beach Boys.   And obviously there is nothing wrong with Beach Boy songs.  After all that's what put Brian on the map.   But there are some songs he's made in his solo career that he still should be quite proud of.


That's what I'm thinking of too. It will probably go back to the similar format like on the Pier Pressure tours. I would like to see "newer" songs on the next non-PS tour and especially songs he used to do live. I've been listening to a lot of his older shows on YouTube and I really love the way they sound and the setlists they chose back then. By now, I'm hoping next year they will bring some new songs out to mix it up because at this point, you basically already know what the first set will consist of with maybe a song or 2 changed every now and then. And everbody knows what happens next: Pet Sounds then the Rocking and rolling encore full speed and VERY high energy. Everybody's up on their feet. Band intros and encore is my favorite part of the show. 
0
surfergurl

Registered:
Posts: 523
Reply with quote  #7 
Regarding whether Brian will do another international tour, seems to me there was a press release in the Fall of 2015 when the UK leg of the NPP tour was cancelled/postponed to 2016, saying that PS50 would be Brian's last international tour. This is why so many UK and European fans on the blue board were disappointed. I'm pretty sure future tours will be North American only.
0
Smilin Mako

Registered:
Posts: 54
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB
It has been a rigorous tour, especially the international portion, but it seems everyone (with the exception of Billy H) held up OK. They now have a much needed little break to recharge. I'm delighted there are shows next year, and I'm hopeful they will be just as fantastic as this years' shows. I get the feeling these guys don't want to just go through the motions. These performances seem to mean a lot to them, and the effort they put forward night in and night out is admirable.



Well the big difference between Garcia and Wilson is this: Heroin...... yeah, the dead had mouths to feed and should have taken a couple of years off, but Jerry was hitting the drugs hard. I remember Phil Lesh writing in his book where Jerry would literally fall asleep standing up and playing different songs than the rest of the band. I should no. I witnessed a handful of shows in 95 and they were awful. Terrible to be honest. The band behind Jerry played with lots of heart. But Jerry was toast at that point. Brian has energetic, clean players behind him and an always sober Jardine. Sure Brian looks a little lost and confused at times, but for goodness sakes, hes 74. Look at how many of our musical heroes have died or look like awful at that point.... drugs and booze with that lifestyle equals premature death or the easy chair. Mike Love has taken care of himself. As long as he can walk he will be front and center. Jerry Garcia and Brian Wilson are the two greatest American composers. Also, if you have a chance to ever read the lyrics that Robert Hunter wrote for Jerry's songs, please do. The early 70's stuff is just beautiful. 
0
BeachBoysAR312

Registered:
Posts: 326
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergurl
Regarding whether Brian will do another international tour, seems to me there was a press release in the Fall of 2015 when the UK leg of the NPP tour was cancelled/postponed to 2016, saying that PS50 would be Brian's last international tour. This is why so many UK and European fans on the blue board were disappointed. I'm pretty sure future tours will be North American only.

That's sort of what I'm thinking too. But then again, Brian went to Europe 3 or 4 times so God Only Knows (pun intended).
0
BeachBoysAR312

Registered:
Posts: 326
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB
It has been a rigorous tour, especially the international portion, but it seems everyone (with the exception of Billy H) held up OK. They now have a much needed little break to recharge. I'm delighted there are shows next year, and I'm hopeful they will be just as fantastic as this years' shows. I get the feeling these guys don't want to just go through the motions. These performances seem to mean a lot to them, and the effort they put forward night in and night out is admirable.

They held up very well. It was a big year for the guys and probably one of the biggest ever. It was bigger than the 2012 Tour, which most of them participated in. I think Bob, Blondie, Gary, and Debbie were the only ones who weren't there. Nicky Wonder was on that tour part time.
0
Ang Jones

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,039
Reply with quote  #11 
I really expected 2016 to be the last UK tour but now two dates in the UK announced for this summer. Brian often surprises us.
0
Al Forsyth

Registered:
Posts: 3,251
Reply with quote  #12 
Ang,  thank goodness that he does!  We have to believe also that he has more music to come out.  There most certainly was a positive kick from the film - Love and Mercy, a resurgence, if you will over here and hopefully in the UK as well.  The range of concertgoers was wide.  This is good. 

Happy to hear that another tour season - is going wide as well (around the country and the WORLD).  I have to pick a show or two to attend this season.  This music, this man, and the incredible band is just too great for anyone to miss out on it.  All is well at a Brian Wilson and band concert.  This kind of good vibrationy thing that overtakes.

__________________
A diamond necklace played the pawn...
0
BeachBoysAR312

Registered:
Posts: 326
Reply with quote  #13 
I can tell you right now that it'll be another busy year. They probably won't do too much during the summer. I wouldn't be surprised if they go with PSounds into the fall too. Oh boy! Here we go!
0
Ang Jones

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,039
Reply with quote  #14 
Smiley Smile mentions a Nashville show with a symphony orchestra in 2018. Brian and his band are turning out to be the gift that keeps on giving.
0
bugs

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,372
Reply with quote  #15 
2018!?!  Oh, man! [thumb]
__________________

β€œLike a dream that's somehow linked to all the stars above." 🌟 🌟 
-Brian Wilson, 1976
                        

0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.