Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
sjeffery

Registered:
Posts: 232
Reply with quote  #1 
Trying to think of one positive aspect of this "potential" tour. Ummmm......nope, can't think of one. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beach-boys-60th-anniversary-reunion-tour-997685/?fbclid=IwAR2IF40avbxxmNmSwmsXzxu929SmJFNcC5OFwlLUcVf8XdhQeqczOabqbB8
0
Ang Jones

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,093
Reply with quote  #2 
'Beach Boys hint at possible 60th reunion...' is less than accurate. ONE Beach Boy hinted and he's the one who chose to end the C50.

'“No one has spoken to Brian about a 60th Anniversary tour,” Wilson’s manager, Jean Sievers, told Rolling Stone.'


0
D.A.N

Registered:
Posts: 1,190
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Beach Boys hint at possible 60th reunion...' is less than accurate. ONE Beach Boy hinted


Well, two.   (Al).
0
Ang Jones

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,093
Reply with quote  #4 
I apologise! I was so annoyed at Mike's words I skimmed the rest of it.

But Al apparently mentioned this in March and since then Brian's European Tour has been postponed to 2021.

Mind you, have to edit again to point out that Mike is the one with the right to use that name 'Beach Boys'. Didn't he sue Al for even touring under Beach Boys Family and Friends?
0
AGD

Registered:
Posts: 1,111
Reply with quote  #5 
No, he didn't. BRI sued Alan for using the name without a license back in the late 1990s... so, technically, Alan was suing himself. Only The Beach Boys...
__________________

"Shut up !", he explained.

Not my circus. Not my monkeys.

0
Ang Jones

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,093
Reply with quote  #6 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/love-v-jardine-headed-trial-129230

'Dunn threw out part of Love's suit last September but allowed him to continue to seek $2 million in court costs and $1 million in earnings he says Jardine wrongly was paid for using the Beach Boys' name.

'Love maintains only he has the legal right to perform under the name, and federal courts ruled in 2003 that Jardine must stop using Beach Boys in the title of his other bands. He had been performing under such names as Beach Boys Family & Friends and Al Jardine of the Beach Boys, but now calls his group Al Jardine's Endless Summer Band.'

Obviously a later lawsuit than the one to which you refer.
0
AGD

Registered:
Posts: 1,111
Reply with quote  #7 

Obviously, as detailed in the article. BTW, the 2003 suit was also brought by BRI, not just Mike as stated here.

http://legalnook.com/brief_details.php?Brief=B48849bbcf4a97e79aa1305f8ac5a2d6c151701e6


__________________

"Shut up !", he explained.

Not my circus. Not my monkeys.

0
Ang Jones

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,093
Reply with quote  #8 
There are several sites naming Love.

'Mike Love, a former member of the Beach Boys, in 1998 acquired the rights to become the sole licensee of the band’s name. He sued his former bandmate Al Jardine for touring under the name ‘Beach Boys Family & Friends’ and won in 2000, when a federal judge concurred it was an infringement of trademark.' (The Economic Times)

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/alan-jardine-wins-latest-beach-boys-court-battle-against-mike-love.24483/

The point simply is that either Al is a Beach Boy or he isn't. You can't have it both ways.
0
Al Forsyth

Registered:
Posts: 3,638
Reply with quote  #9 
Ang, I thought that it was all agreed upon - that Mike retains the name and thus is The Beach Boys.  I always refer to them as the "touring" Beach Boys as they really don't record.  So that would make Brian and Al as former Beach Boys.  It's all the legal-ese that they all agreed upon. Clean and messy all the same but what they did!  

In 2012 we did have the C-50 Reunion and now we look forward to C-60 based upon ...

__________________
A diamond necklace played the pawn...
0
Emdeeh

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 199
Reply with quote  #10 
Brian and Al are still officially Beach Boys, and Mike has use of the name ONLY for touring. Mike and Bruce are the only actual Beach Boys in Mike's shows (unless David or Blondie shows up), and the rest of the guys in the act are designated as the Beach Boys Band. Brian's shows work the same way -- Brian and his special guests Al and Blondie are the principals, and the other folks are the Brian Wilson Band.
0
AGD

Registered:
Posts: 1,111
Reply with quote  #11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang Jones
There are several sites naming Love.

'Mike Love, a former member of the Beach Boys, in 1998 acquired the rights to become the sole licensee of the band’s name. He sued his former bandmate Al Jardine for touring under the name ‘Beach Boys Family & Friends’ and won in 2000, when a federal judge concurred it was an infringement of trademark.' (The Economic Times)

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/alan-jardine-wins-latest-beach-boys-court-battle-against-mike-love.24483/

The point simply is that either Al is a Beach Boy or he isn't. You can't have it both ways.

I know there are, but according to the US judiciary and the legally filed documents, it was...

BROTHER RECORDS INC v. JARDINE
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit.

BROTHER RECORDS, INC., a California Corporation, Plaintiff-Counter-Defendant-Appellant, v. Alan JARDINE, an individual, Defendant-Counter-Claimant-Appellee.

No. 04-55096.
Decided: December 19, 2005

An extract:

"In 1998, BRI issued a non-exclusive license to Michael Love, an original member of The Beach Boys, to use the band's trademark.   BRI declined, however, to sign a contract authorizing Jardine also to use the mark.   After Jardine began touring under the name “Beach Boys Family & Friends” and other variants, BRI sued in federal court for trademark infringement.   The district court granted partial summary judgment in BRI's favor.   A permanent injunction was entered on November 5, 2001, prohibiting Jardine from using “Beach Boy” or “Beach Boys” in the name of his music group.   The district court decision was affirmed by this court in Brother Records, Inc. v. Jardine, 318 F.3d 900 (9th Cir.2003)."

And the point is the BRI-sanctioned use of the trademark. No-one with even the most passing knowledge of the band would argue against Alan being a member.

__________________

"Shut up !", he explained.

Not my circus. Not my monkeys.

0
Ang Jones

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,093
Reply with quote  #12 
Isn't it funny that so many sources cite Mike. Wrong or not, it tells you something.

TBH I cannot imagine why anyone would be enthusiastic about this, firstly because however one feels about the Beach Boys, things are far too insecure at the moment for us to be able to rely on any such thing happening.

In the first article I read on the subject, Brian's manager stated he hadn't been consulted. Only last year Brian was quoted as saying "“The Beach Boys might get together again – but not with me."

No doubt someone will claim Brian is known to change his mind but even if he agrees next week, that doesn't guarantee it will happen. I hope it doesn't. They say that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
0
Ang Jones

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,093
Reply with quote  #13 
Ironically it's been over 60 years since they've actually been 'boys'. If the performance is based on music, keeping it going is one thing. Another entirely to be basing the show on a youth cult, which in my experience isa what Mike likes to emphasise.
0
AGD

Registered:
Posts: 1,111
Reply with quote  #14 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang Jones
Isn't it funny that so many sources cite Mike. Wrong or not, it tells you something.

Yup, tells you people can't be bothered to do their research properly.

Quote:
TBH I cannot imagine why anyone would be enthusiastic about this, firstly because however one feels about the Beach Boys, things are far too insecure at the moment for us to be able to rely on any such thing happening.

In the first article I read on the subject, Brian's manager stated he hadn't been consulted. Only last year Brian was quoted as saying "“The Beach Boys might get together again – but not with me."

No doubt someone will claim Brian is known to change his mind but even if he agrees next week, that doesn't guarantee it will happen. I hope it doesn't. They say that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

It will happen, in some way. The 20-30 gigs Alan's mentioned ? Probably not. A new album of "new" material ? Hopefully not. But something will happen, because this is the last Big One where they can probably pull it off. I'd settle for a small residency which is recorded then released as a CD/DVD a la Brian Wilson & Friends from 2016. More, I think it will happen for the best, most simple reason: that in their hearts, they all want to.


__________________

"Shut up !", he explained.

Not my circus. Not my monkeys.

0
AGD

Registered:
Posts: 1,111
Reply with quote  #15 

The last paragraph of this is... interesting. Reminds me of the lead up to the release of The Smile Sessions.

https://www.closerweekly.com/posts/the-surviving-members-of-the-beach-boys-detail-the-bands-history/?fbclid=IwAR2vfZgK2dCVUUWk1FL-U8vj8jAy-Ohc2siYEXsp3qJBPq8t3J4qArQ_fy0


__________________

"Shut up !", he explained.

Not my circus. Not my monkeys.

0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.