Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
GGH

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 485
Reply with quote  #1 
I recently finished reading The Beach Boys FAQ by John Stebbins. I've probably learned more Beach Boys info from this book than I have from any other. It's a combination of biography and reference book, so it includes more than you're average Beach Boys novel. It covers associated acts, family members, significant places, concerts, TV appearances, best moments for each Beach Boy, who played and sang on what, album reviews, loads of great pictures, and the overall history of The Beach Boys. It was written in 2010, so the SMiLE Box Set hadn't yet happened. Due to that, some of the information isn't up to date, but that's only a small portion. This is a great book for regular fans who want to know a little (or a lot) more and hard core Beach Boys addicts who want to get all the facts they can (my current status). For those of you who haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

Title: The Beach Boys FAQ: All That's Left To Know About America's Band

Author: John Stebbins

Pages: 320

__________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
~The Beatles
0
kds

Registered:
Posts: 2,996
Reply with quote  #2 
I really enjoy that book, and tend to refer to it a lot.  

I'd also highly recommend Peter Carlin's Catch a Wave, which was published in 2007 (unfortunately, it was released before TLOS, C50/TWGMTR, etc, but it's still a great book)
0
GGH

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 485
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds
I really enjoy that book, and tend to refer to it a lot.  

I'd also highly recommend Peter Carlin's Catch a Wave, which was published in 2007 (unfortunately, it was released before TLOS, C50/TWGMTR, etc, but it's still a great book)

Yep I'm in the middle of that one. Great minds think alike.😉

__________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
~The Beatles
0
kds

Registered:
Posts: 2,996
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGH
Yep I'm in the middle of that one. Great minds think alike.😉


That was the first BB related book I bought when I first really starting getting into the band in the summer of 2012.  It's one of the best music biographies I've ever read for any band.  
0
GGH

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 485
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds


That was the first BB related book I bought when I first really starting getting into the band in the summer of 2012.  It's one of the best music biographies I've ever read for any band.  

It's great. Very detailed. I think my firsts Beach Boys books were the 33 1/3 series' Pet Sounds and Smile.

__________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
~The Beatles
0
kds

Registered:
Posts: 2,996
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGH
It's great. Very detailed. I think my firsts Beach Boys books were the 33 1/3 series' Pet Sounds and Smile.


I haven't picked up the 33 1/3 series.  
0
GGH

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 485
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds


I haven't picked up the 33 1/3 series.  

They're ok. Very short reads. There are over a hundred in the series.

Attached Images
jpeg image.jpg (407.82 KB, 2 views)


__________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
~The Beatles

0
kds

Registered:
Posts: 2,996
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGH
They're ok. Very short reads. There are over a hundred in the series.


Yeah, one of my local record stores used to have a whole shelf devoted to those books.  
0
GGH

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 485
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds


Yeah, one of my local record stores used to have a whole shelf devoted to those books.  

Same with one of my local record stores. Apparently they're not too hard to find.

__________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
~The Beatles
0
John B

Registered:
Posts: 1,982
Reply with quote  #10 
Local record stores aren't too hard to find.  ? 

where are they?
0
kds

Registered:
Posts: 2,996
Reply with quote  #11 
There are at least two in the Baltimore area.  (There were three, but one went out of business).  
0
John B

Registered:
Posts: 1,982
Reply with quote  #12 
It would be very nice if Amazon put them into a back room at Whole Foods...?
0
dancai

Registered:
Posts: 259
Reply with quote  #13 
Title: The Beach Boys FAQ: All That's Left To Know About America's Band Author: John Stebbins Pages: 320

Agreed.  Besides all you said, it's a lot of fun to read.  I also recommend the same author's books about Dennis Wilson and David Marks.

DCC
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.