Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Debbie KL

Registered:
Posts: 1,415
Reply with quote  #1 
Brian's long-time wonderful manager/publicist, Jean Sievers can be seen on this video as Jeff Bridges gave her a shout-out as he received a lifetime award at the Golden Globes.

As a fan of Brian, Jeff and Jean, I love this moment. Enjoy.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/jeff-bridges-golden-globes-speech-775580/
0
bugs

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,408
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie KL
Brian's long-time wonderful manager/publicist, Jean Sievers can be seen on this video as Jeff Bridges gave her a shout-out as he received a lifetime award at the Golden Globes.

As a fan of Brian, Jeff and Jean, I love this moment. Enjoy.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/jeff-bridges-golden-globes-speech-775580/
Awesome, Debbie.  YOU were the one to 'introduce' me to this good lady, and she is everything you say.  Like Ronnie Lippin before her, good, good people on Brian's team.  And Jeff Bridges? - great actor, and a good guy.

'The Dude' paying tribute to Jean!

Thanks for sharing

__________________

β€œLike a dream that's somehow linked to all the stars above." 🌟 🌟 
-Brian Wilson, 1976
                        

0
surfergurl

Registered:
Posts: 527
Reply with quote  #3 
That is so cool, thanks for posting Debbie! What a great speech! As the camera panned around, it's also hard not to notice how much Beau Bridges actually looks like a slightly younger Brian!
0
Al Forsyth

Registered:
Posts: 3,399
Reply with quote  #4 
Yep - heard it as it was happening. Now for a better explanation of "trim tabs".

Also happy that Bohemian Rhapsody won over A Star Is Born version 4.

__________________
A diamond necklace played the pawn...
0
Debbie KL

Registered:
Posts: 1,415
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs
Awesome, Debbie.  YOU were the one to 'introduce' me to this good lady, and she is everything you say.  Like Ronnie Lippin before her, good, good people on Brian's team.  And Jeff Bridges? - great actor, and a good guy.

'The Dude' paying tribute to Jean!

Thanks for sharing


Bugs: Ronnie was one of the sweetest people I ever met, and Jean was a perfect partner in the business during those days - as direct as a person can come, also with a heart of gold. You certainly get it.

SurferGurl and Al, thanks for your comments, too. Jean has been an unsung hero for far to long.
0
Debbie KL

Registered:
Posts: 1,415
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Forsyth
Yep - heard it as it was happening. Now for a better explanation of "trim tabs".

Also happy that Bohemian Rhapsody won over A Star Is Born version 4.


Al, god/dess help me, I'll try to explain a trimtab. They are on both airplanes and boats. One of the things pilots do to manage flight - adjust the trim.  I was a pilot and sailor once, so have used it. This was a physical metaphor the great Buckminster Fuller used to explain the power of the individual.

The trimtab is attached to the rudder of even huge ships. It's smaller than the rudder that actually steers the direction of a ship and the trimtab subtly, but powerfully adjusts it. It has everything to do with the direction the ship goes.

Airplanes are guided in direction (how it turns) by the rudder with the trimtab adjusting it all. Airplanes also have the up/down axis where flaps also have trim applied to this axis. My flight instructor told me, and demonstrated to me on a flight that you could land an airplane, simple by using trim on the flaps. I was amazed - the power of the subtler/smaller flight surface could bring the airplane down safely. The small controlling the direction/height of the mass.

Now you know why my fellow Bucky Fuller fan, Jeff Bridges, didn't go into an explanation of Bucky's metaphor, but it's a great one in our political times.
0
bugs

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,408
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie KL


Al, god/dess help me, I'll try to explain a trimtab. They are on both airplanes and boats. One of the things pilots do to manage flight - adjust the trim.  I was a pilot and sailor once, so have used it. ...
  Is there anything you haven't done, Debbie!?! [biggrin]
Nicely explained though - I was going to take a stab at it, but it didn't sound too good in my head...so I left it there.  The closest I come to first-hand knowledge is my pilot brother - and I usually ignored him whenever he tried to teach my to fly (which is one of several reasons I'm not a pilot). [smile]

__________________

β€œLike a dream that's somehow linked to all the stars above." 🌟 🌟 
-Brian Wilson, 1976
                        

0
Al Forsyth

Registered:
Posts: 3,399
Reply with quote  #8 
Bugsy, she may have not been an astronaut yet.  But quite possibly. Debbie?  

Debbie, did you see this last evening - about the first two commercial lady pilots who flew together but had to find each other again?
http://www.pbs.org/meet-again/episodes/fight-womens-rights/

Trim tabs and politics or whatever we are involved in, meaning that we all matter - Big rudder to trim tabs to make it all work in the end. 

Oh, and I chose motorcycle over flying.  But was interested in both. 

__________________
A diamond necklace played the pawn...
0
Debbie KL

Registered:
Posts: 1,415
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs
  Is there anything you haven't done, Debbie!?! [biggrin]
Nicely explained though - I was going to take a stab at it, but it didn't sound too good in my head...so I left it there.  The closest I come to first-hand knowledge is my pilot brother - and I usually ignored him whenever he tried to teach my to fly (which is one of several reasons I'm not a pilot). [smile]


There are so many things I haven't done, but the idea of "Jack of all trades, master of none," would apply, sorry to say.  I'm not a pilot anymore myself. I'd never pass the physical, and even I wouldn't fly with me without an instructor at this point.

Next, I'll read Al's comment to see if I made any sense.

0
Debbie KL

Registered:
Posts: 1,415
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Forsyth
Bugsy, she may have not been an astronaut yet.  But quite possibly. Debbie?  

Debbie, did you see this last evening - about the first two commercial lady pilots who flew together but had to find each other again?
http://www.pbs.org/meet-again/episodes/fight-womens-rights/

Trim tabs and politics or whatever we are involved in, meaning that we all matter - Big rudder to trim tabs to make it all work in the end. 

Oh, and I chose motorcycle over flying.  But was interested in both. 


Thanks, Al!

I definitely was never an astronaut. [biggrin] I would never have passed the "vomit comet" test - (yep, it exists).

I love this story! My father worked for TWA, so I love that the woman who was the star of the story started there. One of my dear friends is a female pilot for United, her husband, father (Delta), father-in-law, and brother-in-law (chief pilot for Los Angeles) are all pilots. It runs in families. 

When I got my pilot's license in the late 80's, only 6% of pilots were female. Things have changed, and Jean Sievers is a major Hollywood figure. Love it!

Good for you and the motorcycles!


0
smileyFrank

Registered:
Posts: 175
Reply with quote  #11 
Yes that was great seeing Jean Sievers get some due. I thought John Cusack did a good job as Brian in 'Love & Mercy', but too bad Jean couldn't use her influence to get Jeff Bridges to get that part. On sheer star power alone it would have elevated the film to where it maybe would have at least received more Oscar consideration--as a film, and the individual actors in it. And I think he would have done a marvelous job also.  Imagine..."the dude' playing "The Dude"!
0
Debbie KL

Registered:
Posts: 1,415
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyFrank
Yes that was great seeing Jean Sievers get some due. I thought John Cusack did a good job as Brian in 'Love & Mercy', but too bad Jean couldn't use her influence to get Jeff Bridges to get that part. On sheer star power alone it would have elevated the film to where it maybe would have at least received more Oscar consideration--as a film, and the individual actors in it. And I think he would have done a marvelous job also.  Imagine..."the dude' playing "The Dude"!


I'm a fan of the entire Bridges family as actors and activists, so I hear you. At the same time, John Cusack did a wonderful job playing Brian (II). I know he was really appreciated for his work by Brian and family, so...I'm a fan of both gentlemen. If someone asked me who I'd rather have dinner with, I'd try to pick both.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.