Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
sjeffery

Registered:
Posts: 184
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcny730

Go here and read this review and the comments about Brian. It says what I have been trying to say. And this was written over a year ago! 
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/aug/02/brian-wilson-review-hammersmith-apollo-london-beach-boys

 The final line of the review reads: 
Ultimately, the thrilling moments triumph over the disquieting ones, but it’s a very strange Brian Wilson fan indeed who can see him live without feeling beset by doubts.

Love and Mercy




I don't know why you continue on with this NEGATIVITY. This review is old news. It offers no new insights or information. For the life of me, I can't understand why you'd come here and repeatedly offer your personal DOUBTS and JUDGMENTS backed up by nothing. As for me, I am counting the minutes to this evening's show at The Kennedy Center. I am sure the venue will be filled with fans APPRECIATING the mere presence of our Brian and any level of performance that occurs. As in most areas of life, much depends on the way we choose to view things. There is a lot to be said for simply being grateful. 

Stephanie
0
bugs

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,277
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeffery


I don't know why you continue on with this NEGATIVITY. This review is old news. It offers no new insights or information. For the life of me, I can't understand why you'd come here and repeatedly offer your personal DOUBTS and JUDGMENTS backed up by nothing. As for me, I am counting the minutes to this evening's show at The Kennedy Center. I am sure the venue will be filled with fans APPRECIATING the mere presence of our Brian and any level of performance that occurs. As in most areas of life, much depends on the way we choose to view things. There is a lot to be said for simply being grateful. 

Stephanie
Excellent Stephanie!  Enjoy!
(I'm sorry I called you Sue earlier [confused])

__________________

“Like a dream that's somehow linked to all the stars above." 🌟 🌟 
-Brian Wilson, 1976
                        

0
bugs

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,277
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcny730
I never said he was controlled. You raised that ugly topic.
And open your mind. My goodness. 
All I ever said was that the concert performances are beginning to be awkward and that I question the motivation behind the need to be out there. …


Then what ARE you saying here!?! -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcny730
... And I have some friends who are very very close to Brian. Going back for years. And let's just say... don't believe everything you hear or read. …

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcny730
... If he's not smiling, how can we smile? One day we'll learn the truth. …

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcny730
... I'm just not blind to reality. It's real complicated surrounding Brian. 
Ask Paul Simon, Jeff Beck they can tell you what it's like. Why do good people like Jeff Foskett leave? Why do we have Brian's son in law and not Matt Jardine now? What happened to his good friends like David Leaf ?  …


__________________

“Like a dream that's somehow linked to all the stars above." 🌟 🌟 
-Brian Wilson, 1976
                        

0
Deb#1

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,751
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
This review is old news. It offers no new insights or information. 

Plus, it would seem the reviewer doesn't even like Brian's music.  He is no one to judge "strange" by.


__________________
Oooooooo
Merry Christmas Saint Nick"

0
dcny730

Registered:
Posts: 10
Reply with quote  #20 
Ultimately, the thrilling moments triumph over the disquieting ones, but it’s a very strange Brian Wilson fan indeed who can see him live without feeling beset by doubts.

Again not my words.

You are making me defend a position I do not embrace but one that others have raised/questioned. It troubles me to think it could be remotely possible. I have questions...not answers. 

I have no idea whether or not he's being controlled. But I look at the totality of the situation and there are many questions in my mind about many things. Be honest to yourself in your evaluations. Brian has not been able to live independently for years, there are forces in his life, he admits that there are voices in his head. It's complicated. He's out there frail and fragile , you can't argue that. Maybe touring does give him peace. Maybe . I sure hope so. We'll never really know. I don't know that's for sure. Nor does anyone else for that matter. 

This whole trend started out as a concert review. I'm sorry that it was not a glowing one . It wasn't negative in my mind. It's just my opinion and a comparison to shows I've seen in the past.
I sure hope what I saw Friday night was an aberration, maybe Brian was ill,  maybe he was in pain. Everyone is entitled to a bad day. Let's leave it at that. 

If you read this and are wondering whether or not to go to a show. GO! He's Brian Wilson ! You should not miss the opportunity to witness genius ! He may no longer be  the performer he once was, but it's OK and his band is awesome. And, if you count Blondie, he actually has more Beach Boys on stage than Mike Love does ! I'm looking forward to the Holiday Show. What a blast it will be to hear all those great Christmas songs. And I hope down the road, if Brian does continue on this journey, he decides to resurrect some old albums, like Sunflower or Friends and plays them in their entirety. 

 God bless and protect Brian . God only knows what we'd be without him.

Happy Holidays all. I'm done. 

Love and Mercy


0
Deb#1

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,751
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
You are making me defend a position I do not embrace but one that others have raised/questioned.


I thought you posted the article to defend YOUR position. Strange, indeed.

__________________
Oooooooo
Merry Christmas Saint Nick"

0
RB

Registered:
Posts: 177
Reply with quote  #22 
I was fortunate enough to be at the Richmond show as well. My thoughts......

Yes, the opening act was a bit of a head scratcher (they were pretty good BTW), as there rarely has been one in the past, but the comment about a chance to sell concessions makes sense.

It looks like Brian has not fully recovered from the surgery, or perhaps it wasn't successful. Yes, to see him escorted to the stage by three people is disheartening, but he made this great effort to be there for the fans. Is he as engaged as ever? No. Is the voice failing at times? Sure. Do I still get a very special feeling in my heart when I hear him (or Matt, or Rob, or Al) sing my favorite songs? ABSOLUTELY!

They are making adjustments to accommodate Brian's health. I'm sure in the future, if there is no encore break, they will probably introduce the band after Caroline No. But that's my guess.

If Brian didn't want to be there, he wouldn't. I still believe he enjoys it. He just looks like he is in pain.

Enjoy the shows while you can has always been my advice to myself.
0
dcny730

Registered:
Posts: 10
Reply with quote  #23 
You misunderstood Deb.

The review supported my feeling that Brain is awkward on stage. Nothing about the control issue that BUGS like to bring up.

It reinforces my position that the shows are good despite the awkwardness.

Love and Mercy
0
dcny730

Registered:
Posts: 10
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB
I was fortunate enough to be at the Richmond show as well. My thoughts......

Yes, the opening act was a bit of a head scratcher (they were pretty good BTW), as there rarely has been one in the past, but the comment about a chance to sell concessions makes sense.

It looks like Brian has not fully recovered from the surgery, or perhaps it wasn't successful. Yes, to see him escorted to the stage by three people is disheartening, but he made this great effort to be there for the fans. Is he as engaged as ever? No. Is the voice failing at times? Sure. Do I still get a very special feeling in my heart when I hear him (or Matt, or Rob, or Al) sing my favorite songs? ABSOLUTELY!

They are making adjustments to accommodate Brian's health. I'm sure in the future, if there is no encore break, they will probably introduce the band after Caroline No. But that's my guess.

If Brian didn't want to be there, he wouldn't. I still believe he enjoys it. He just looks like he is in pain.

Enjoy the shows while you can has always been my advice to myself.
0
Deb#1

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,751
Reply with quote  #25 
Oh, I can agree that Brian can be awkward on stage. And it looks as if he is even hurting some of the time now. But it is not up to us to judge whether he should continue or not because of that. It’s up to him to decide when he’s had enough. In the meantime, let it shine.
I hope you were able to get tickets to a holiday show. And I hope it will be easier for you to watch. Mercy and Love.

__________________
Oooooooo
Merry Christmas Saint Nick"

0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.