Welcome to the Season VII Battle of the Bands Play-Off Week 4.
It’s the penultimate week – the Preliminary Final.
Let me explain how this works.
From the 44 weeks of competition, the seven highest ranked Gold songs have already advanced to next week's Grand Final, where they will be revealed.
The top three vote getters from this week will meet them in that major play-off.
This week was devised to reward hosts who had particularly strong weeks, giving a lifeline to the winners of the Silver & Bronze play-offs and, indeed, have a chance to battle it out for the top three spots of the year.
This week features the following:
- the winner of the Bronze Play-Off and the two songs that beat it in its original week (neither of which had qualified for the Gold and Silver play-offs in their own right)
- the winner of last week’s Silver Play-Off, which hasn’t finished lower than second in either week (regular or play-off) that it’s competed in
- the song that defeated the Silver Play-Off winner in its original week (unless it had already qualified for the Gold Play-Off in its own right, which it hadn’t)
- the song that defeated the runner-up of the Silver Play-Off in its original week (again, unless it had already qualified for the Gold Play-Off in its own right, which it hadn’t)
- the three songs that were ranked 8-10 at the end of the regular season
- the remaining (one in this case) selection(s) to make up the 10 for this week is the song that won Gold and was ranked next in order beyond the 10; in this case, #11.
Here are the nominees for this week:-
Country Air (The Beach Boys - 1967) (65 votes, 36.11%) (Week 5 - paul g adsett)
Pet Sounds (live) (Brian Wilson - 2002) (70, 35.00) (Week 6 - Lisa G/TS)
Help Me, Rhonda (The Beach Boys - 1965) (61.5, 30.75) (Week 7 - BrianFan)
Help! (The Beatles - 1965) (58.5, 29.25; 165) (Week 7 - BrianFan)
You Still Believe in Me (The Beach Boys - 1966) (73.5, 33.41) (Week 14 - Larry Franz)
California Saga: California (The Beach Boys - 1973) (74.5, 33.86) (Week 16 - Verden McCutcheon)
The Warmth of the Sun (Brian Wilson - 1995) (66, 30.00) (Week 18 - Cindy Hood)
Rhapsody in Blue (George Gershwin - 1924) (58, 26.36) (Week 18 - Cindy Hood)
Be My Baby (The Ronettes - 1963) (57, 25.91; 174) (Week 18 - Cindy Hood)
Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder) (The Beach Boys - 1966) (66, 36.67) (Week 40 - Peter Simpson)
The clips have been posted below.
Throughout the play-offs, I will list all links previously used by the respective hosts excepting where clips have been taken down for copyright infringement or when clips with improved audio have become available.
I have sought the approval of substitute clips from the hosts whose selections this has affected.
Nine of the clips this week are the originals used by the hosts.
‘Country Air’ was taken down for copyright infringement.
Now if any of these links do not work for you, just let me know and we’ll endeavour to find an alternative clip.
As per each week of the play-offs, I ask you to vote using either one of three methods.
Ideally, people will vote 1-10 (in their order of preference).
If this appeals to you, you can copy and paste the titles (just below) into your post and put next to each song your order (1 = favourite song, 10 = least favourite song).
Otherwise, feel free to just vote for your top 3 or top 5 in order. (The songs you don't rate will then be allotted equal points of the remainder.)
Again, this week's top THREE vote getters will go on to compete in next week's Gold Play-Off, from which we will choose the Gold, Silver & Bronze winning songs for the year!
See you next Monday (with the results).
Pet Sounds (live)
Help Me, Rhonda
You Still Believe in Me
California Saga: California
The Warmth of the Sun
Rhapsody in Blue
Be My Baby
Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
Country Air (The Beach Boys - 1967)
Pet Sounds (live) (Brian Wilson - 2002)
Help Me, Rhonda (The Beach Boys - 1965)
Help! (The Beatles - 1965)
You Still Believe in Me (The Beach Boys - 1966)
California Saga: California (The Beach Boys - 1973)
The Warmth of the Sun (Brian Wilson - 1995)
Rhapsody in Blue (George Gershwin - 1924)
Be My Baby (The Ronettes - 1963)
Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder) (The Beach Boys - 1966)