Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 4 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
MaryNYS

Registered:
Posts: 769
Reply with quote  #46 
Hi all,

I am back to post about Brian Wilson's What I Really Want for Christmas.  I have this CD and like to very much.  Each song is unique and a masterpiece.  I like Brain wanting peace on earth.  The Man With All The Toys is a fantastic song to start the CD.  The traditional songs Aare fabulous.  Christmasey is excellent as is Christmas Day.  I am glad to have this CD.  It beats a card of any kind.  

See all of you again on Sunday.


0
bonnie bella

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,026
Reply with quote  #47 
It's so good to see you back, Mary.  [smile]
__________________

Clowns divorce: custardy battle.     Simon Munnery

0
BeachBoysAR312

Registered:
Posts: 328
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds
I've been listening to various tracks of the BW album here and there, and I plan to listen to the full album at some point this weekend.  We're taking a Christmas related road trip this weekend, so the BW album is on the CD list for the car ride. 
Have a safe trip and enjoy your tunes!
0
BeachBoysAR312

Registered:
Posts: 328
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John B
You know, I have to echo what Brian said about his fans in Europe being bigger fans.  They must be to be able to buy this Brian Christmas album in vinyl, at a reasonable price.  The same cannot be said for the U.S.  I was thinking, in anticipation of boxing and moving, I have momentarily misplaced this CD...but would really like to hear it during Christmas season, so I wanted to buy the vinyl.  Well, it could be mailed to me at a reasonable price from Europe by...January 15-30.  uh.  No good.

Similarly, shouldn't we all by now have the Paley Sessions?  (both collections?).  Well, you can buy online from a German bootlegger, but in the U.S. you're kind of stuck with an overpriced 'Sweet Insanity' bootleg that includes only some of the Paley stuff.  'Adult Child' can be had right now in America, at 77$ or so. 

Now someone is going to say 'yeah, but download blah blah onto I-device.'    and I am freezing cold to that suggestion.  I also do not know how to do it.   Why the heck is SpongeBob's Christmas album only a 'e' release here in the states?   I don't know how to plug something like that into my car.  Europeans are lucky in some ways.


That brings me to my next question: Where can we buy the Christmas album on CD here in the states? I have it on Spotify but where can we buy on CD? And btw, what's the Paley Sessions?
0
BeachBoysAR312

Registered:
Posts: 328
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds


Bugs,

I fully agree. 

Most of the younger generation listens to music, but I don't know how many are true music fans.  It's more like background noise.  They hear a song they like, download it on their phone, and listen to it in their earbuds while shopping at the Whole Foods.  

I don't know how many younger people (let's say under 35)  actually take time to listen to full albums anymore.  Or, if they hear a song from an older artist, explore more of their catalog / history.  

Back on topic.  I think I've said this before, but I'd love to see Brian do a Christmas tour at some point where the setlist is mostly made up of songs from both his and The Beach Boys Christmas albums.  Maybe, then, he can finally play piano on Santa Claus is Coming to Town. 
Agreed. And that would be a great X-mas tour!
0
BeachBoysAR312

Registered:
Posts: 328
Reply with quote  #51 
As kds said, I also like having the CDs. Sad how CD players are going away. Great to listen to in the car and for when you don't have a connection for something like Spotify or Pandora. iPod shuffles are good too, especially for flights.
0
BeachBoysAR312

Registered:
Posts: 328
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryNYS
Hi all,

I am back to post about Brian Wilson's What I Really Want for Christmas.  I have this CD and like to very much.  Each song is unique and a masterpiece.  I like Brain wanting peace on earth.  The Man With All The Toys is a fantastic song to start the CD.  The traditional songs Aare fabulous.  Christmasey is excellent as is Christmas Day.  I am glad to have this CD.  It beats a card of any kind.  

See all of you again on Sunday.




Welcome back, Mary!
0
bugs

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,419
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBoysAR312


That brings me to my next question: Where can we buy the Christmas album on CD here in the states? I have it on Spotify but where can we buy on CD? And btw, what's the Paley Sessions?
You can get this (and many other BW/BB CDs) from Amazon...new for $10-15, and used for $4-5 (w/shipping).

And there are threads here discussing the Paley Sessions.  These were Andy Paley and Brian Wilson collaborations primarily during the 1990s.  They co-wrote/played/produced about the equivalent of one or two+ LPs that were never released.  Some of the songs are quite good in my opinion - and I'm not alone.  Some tracks were eventually released (and sometimes re-recorded) - on Beach Boys compilations and/or Brian's LP "Getting In Over My Head" (mostly).

__________________

“Like a dream that's somehow linked to all the stars above." 🌟 🌟 
-Brian Wilson, 1976
                        

0
bugs

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,419
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs
You can get this (and many other BW/BB CDs) from Amazon...new for $10-15, and used for $4-5 (w/shipping).

And there are threads here discussing the Paley Sessions.  These were Andy Paley and Brian Wilson collaborations primarily during the 1990s.  They co-wrote/played/produced about the equivalent of one or two+ LPs that were never released.  Some of the songs are quite good in my opinion - and I'm not alone.  Some tracks were eventually released (and sometimes re-recorded) - on Beach Boys compilations and/or Brian's LP "Getting In Over My Head" (mostly).
And BTW, you can just follow the link(s) right on this website for Brian's solo and BB discography...clicking on the LP cover(s) will enable you to click through next to Amazon.com, where you can choose CD/vinyl, etc.  I've also noticed the prices offered vary greatly...even day to day.

__________________

“Like a dream that's somehow linked to all the stars above." 🌟 🌟 
-Brian Wilson, 1976
                        

0
bugs

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,419
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBoysAR312
As kds said, I also like having the CDs. Sad how CD players are going away. Great to listen to in the car and for when you don't have a connection for something like Spotify or Pandora. iPod shuffles are good too, especially for flights.

No need to worry about CD players going away - we'll be able to buy Blu-Ray players for many years, and any of these should be able to play any CD within that player's region (e.g., North America CDs).

Although I'm not a (crazed) hardcore audiophile, I (very much) value the sound quality of a properly-digitized/mastered CD played over a properly-calibrated/capable receiver and speakers (with properly-rated wire) in an acoustically-treated room/home theatre.  It takes some research, $($), and time to be sure you’re getting the best sound you can, but the rewards are worth it.

Yet like a strong chain, it’s vital to have every link reach its maximum potential.  In other words, the best receiver, speakers, and room treatments aren’t going to make much difference if you start out with a poorly-engineered/recorded CD.  Conversely, the best mastered ultra-analog SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc) or ultra-analog 180g LP is not going to sound better than a cheaply made CD or vinyl record on a 15 Watt Kmart player.  There’s more involved (and I am no expert), but this gives you a general idea. 

But sitting down to listen to a Brian Wilson/Mark Linett SACD of Pet Sounds created by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (Mo-Fi) over a perfectly-calibrated sound system in a room with acoustic wall treatments is one of life’s true pleasures. 

And I know CDs will last a long while.  The one time I needed to break a CD containing sensitive data, I was amazed at the strength of the disc. 

Of course, if you can’t sit down in a room like I’ve described, I shoot for the best mobile player, best headphones, and best (truly lossless) digital file you can procure – FLAC files being the best example.

OK – I’ve rambled on enough about something not truly on-topic.  Yet there’s more I can share if anyone’s really interested – including the best-value (quality) speakers in North America (IMO)…and they're not far from Lee’s neck of the woods (Axiom Audio).


__________________

“Like a dream that's somehow linked to all the stars above." 🌟 🌟 
-Brian Wilson, 1976
                        

0
BeachBoysAR312

Registered:
Posts: 328
Reply with quote  #56 
Thanks for the info, bugs! Will definitely look into it.
0
John B

Registered:
Posts: 2,136
Reply with quote  #57 
Thanks, Bugs, that's what I just did (rebuy another Brian Christmas album on CD).  It will help cheer me this Christmas.[smile]

--please forgive my comment here, but I don't want my own topic for this.  I just want to thank everyone on this site for their friendship and friendliness to me, starting with Debbie KL and Larry Franz because they were first to this newcomer, but then everyone else too who argued politely or even not so politely with me as my best friends and brothers do.  As a native Texan like my dad, I would not have it any other way.  I mean it from the bottom of my heart--you guys make a difference.

My father passed away.  He was almost 84. Because my dad loved Johnny Ray and the 4 Freshman and Frank Sinatra, I loved them too.  I was going to hug him in one week.  He almost made it.
0
curt lambert

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 427
Reply with quote  #58 
So sorry for your loss, John. My Dad passed a few years ago and his love of harmony was a big reason for why my two brothers and I became such huge Beach Boys and Brian fans. Your Dad is always with you.  
__________________
...feel the vibrations and all the sensations...
0
kds

Registered:
Posts: 2,996
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John B
Thanks, Bugs, that's what I just did (rebuy another Brian Christmas album on CD).  It will help cheer me this Christmas.[smile]

--please forgive my comment here, but I don't want my own topic for this.  I just want to thank everyone on this site for their friendship and friendliness to me, starting with Debbie KL and Larry Franz because they were first to this newcomer, but then everyone else too who argued politely or even not so politely with me as my best friends and brothers do.  As a native Texan like my dad, I would not have it any other way.  I mean it from the bottom of my heart--you guys make a difference.

My father passed away.  He was almost 84. Because my dad loved Johnny Ray and the 4 Freshman and Frank Sinatra, I loved them too.  I was going to hug him in one week.  He almost made it.


Sorry to hear about your loss, John.

My condolences.


0
John B

Registered:
Posts: 2,136
Reply with quote  #60 
thanks, guys, you are great. 
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.